Science also includes technology, math, and engineering (STEM). All these subjects drive us to question, explore, create, and move beyond what anyone thought was possible. We're excited to encourage all ages to dream big, discover the world around them, and be curious!
Looking for a science e-books to read? Gale Virtual Reference Library has always available e-books on subjects such as the environment, medicine, science, and technology. Safari Books Online also has a wide variety of always available e-books on computer technology, software development, information technology, engineering, math, and science. Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium (Overdrive) is good source for computer technology and science e-books to check out and read.
You and your kids won't want to miss our exciting STEM programs that are happening this summer! Here are some highlights:
- Science in the Summer: Science of Sports. Discover how science helps athletes perform at their peak. At several branches. Registration required.
- Energy Express. Learn about renewable energy and energy efficiency in a fun and interactive hands-on way. At several branches. Registration required.
- Sciencetellers-Tall Ships and Pirate Tales. Set sail on a thrilling, action packed adventure about a crew of quirky pirates marooned on a desert island. They must find a way to construct a ship before all hope is lost. Rockville Memorial July 8, 3 pm.
- Cosmic Adventures. Explore the universe and stargaze in comfort with a traveling planetarium. Germantown July 12, 3 & 4 pm. Registration required.
- Science Spectacular with Eric Energy. A wild and wacky scientist, will have you mesmerized by some of his greatest eye-catching experiments. Olney July 10, 2 pm.
- Solar Eclipse events. On August 21st, there will be a solar eclipse partially observable in Maryland. Advanced programs help you prepare for the event, including safety tips. Other events practice safe eclipse viewing. At several branches. Some branches registration required.
- Animal Homes. Meet some live animals and find out about their homes. Rockville Memorial Aug 12, 2 pm.
- Mad Science. Be amazed at science that spins, pops, and goes boom. At several branches. Some branches require tickets.
- Reptiles Alive. Meet fascinating reptiles. At several branches. Some branches require tickets.
- Under the Sea. Discover the exciting animals that live under the sea and in the Chesapeake Bay. At several branches. Some branches require tickets.
We invite you to explore, discover, learn, and invent! Behind great science are people and the next inventor or scientist may be you! Maybe in the future we'll be beaming to places for vacation thanks to you!
Scotty, one to beam up!