As you get ready to tackle your spring cleaning activities, why not take the opportunity to tidy up your financial picture as well?
Wondering how or where to get started?
Montgomery County Public Libraries has that covered!
During Money Smart Week® (April 22-29), our Chevy Chase, Damascus, Gaithersburg, Germantown, Long Branch, Olney, Rockville Memorial, and Silver Spring branches will be offering a Money Smart Week® Spring financial education extravaganza, with workshops, seminars and programs for everyone, presented in a no-pitch, no-sales, no-obligation atmosphere. Just easy, fast financial information from reputable local financial educators.
Whether you’re hoping to win the lottery or you’re well on your way to achieving the financial goals you’ve set, or you’re somewhere in between, wherever you fall on the spectrum, MCPL has a Money Smart Week® workshop for you.
If you’re like most people, your formal education probably didn’t include coursework on managing money, getting out of debt, buying a new house or saving for retirement. And since money doesn’t come with instructions, we could all use some help when it comes to managing our finances.
• It’s never too early to start teaching children about money. Why not use this opportunity to start a money conversation with your kids. Middle schoolers in grades 6-8 can earn a prize by entering our Money Smart Week® Essay Contest. Get the whole family involved in our Can You Guess How Many Pennies event and Money Smart Week® Game Day at our Olney library.
• Get tips on how to achieve financial success (regardless of income level) and the best ways to prepare for home ownership – at our Steps to Financial Success (April 24) and A Guide for First-Time Home Buyers (April 28) seminars at our Rockville branch.
• Refinancing? Or thinking about it? Head over to our Germantown branch for Ins and Outs of Refinancing on April 25 @ 7pm.
• If your goal is a financially secure and comfortable retirement, don’t miss our Silver Spring and Gaithersburg sessions of Preparing for Retirement. The #1 independent financial planning firm in the nation, Edelman Financial Services, will share what you need to do to take charge of your retirement, manage your investments and generate the income you need for retirement. (Gaithersburg April 25 @ 6pm/ Silver Spring April 26 @ 6:30)
• Women, did you know that you are often at greater risk than men when it comes to achieving a secure retirement? The president of the Women's Institute for a Secure Retirement will discuss What Women Need to Know about Retirement at the Chevy Chase branch on April 27th at noon.
• Bring your laptop to a powerful, hands-on Live Your Life by Design NOT by Default session facilitated by the Society for Financial Awareness. You'll be shepherded through the process of creating your own financial roadmap at Olney library on April 24 @ 6:30 pm.
• Behind in paying your bills? Or are a creditor’s records mistakenly making it appear that you are? In this Debt Collection: Know Your Rights! session, the Montgomery County Office of Consumer Protection, helps you spot abusive practices.
Get inspired to take a fresh look at your finances this spring during Money Smart Week® and Financial Literacy Month. Come away with improved financial decision-making skills and feeling empowered to take control of your financial life.
Catch a session during your lunch break, or in the evening after work. Here's a complete list of our Money Smart Week events.