Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Faces of MCPL: Kathy Gower

Kathy Gower
Kathy at Twinbrook Library in July
How long you have been with MCPL?

I've been with MCPL since January 1999.  That's over 16 years!

What have you done during your time at MCPL?

My first job was as a part-time Adult Services librarian at the old Silver Spring Library. I was very happy there, but stayed only until August when I went on maternity leave with my third child. When I returned it was to Quince Orchard Library (closer to home) as a part-time Adult and Reference Librarian. I stayed there very happily about 7 years. Then I took a position at the brand new Rockville Memorial Library as a part -time Children's Librarian. I've always loved children's books and interacting with our youngest patrons! I really enjoyed my job at Rockville and stayed approximately 6 years. At that point I was looking for a full-time position to help cover paying for college for our three children. I took a full-time Children's Librarian position at Germantown Library.

What are you doing now?

Now I am back closer to home at Twinbrook Library. I will be working at the new Silver Spring Library temporarily while Twinbrook is closed.

What do you like best about working in libraries?

My favorite thing about being a librarian is being able to help so many people.  It may seem like we do such minor things like finding a book, or answering an informational question, but by actually caring about what the person needs with warmth and a smile, can make a big difference in their life.

What else are you excited about, in addition to libraries?

I am married to a great guy, Patrick, and have three children, ages 22, 21, and 16. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with family and friends, prayer, reading, knitting, hiking, and walking. The most important things to me are my family, my friends and my faith!

I'm sure you were expecting this last question: What's your favorite read?

I am currently reading The Blue Comet by Rosemary Wells. I am almost finished reading it, and I highly recommend this to boys and girls, from 3rd - 6th grade!

Kathy in conversation with Lennea

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, I remember you from Quince Orchard Library. You have certainly had a peripatetic career! Best of luck to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete