Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Library Card Sign Up Month



brother and sister with first library cards
Silver Spring - 1st Library Cards
Do you remember getting your first library card? I remember getting my first library card when I was about 5 years old because at the time in order to get a library card a child had to actually write his or her name. When I got my own library card it was such a source of pride that I could now check out beloved books like Make Way for Ducklings, Little House, and A Pocket for Corduroy with my very own card. As I grew up and my books and interests changed and developed I discovered even more exciting books that my library had to offer.


baby with first library card
Gaithersburg - 1st Library Card
Today the library offers many new and exciting services and resources that they didn't have when I first got my library card like e-books, e-magazines, audiobooks, online classes, downloadable and streaming music, online article access, test preparation help online, Digital Media Labs, and STEM Go! Kits for kids. What hasn't changed is that my library card still gives me access to a wealth of free information, services, and resources, both in person at library branches and online. It still is the most important card in my wallet when I first got it as it is today!


Want to know more about what your free library card gives you access to?  Have a look at these 25 free library services you may not know about!

  1. Download e-magazines.
  2. Take high quality, online classes from Gale Courses.
  3. Use the Digital Media Lab to learn, explore, and create digital media.
  4. Download music from Freegal.
  5. Check out a science-themed Go! Kit, which also contains a mini iPad, for you and your child.
  6. Put a book on hold online.
  7. Download e-books.
  8. Use Microsoft Office to build skills.
  9. Use public PCs to create online documents.
  10. Renew your materials online.
  11. Download audiobooks.
  12. Learn a language online.
  13. Check out books in other languages.
  14. Stream classical, folk or world music.
  15. Stream classic theatre productions.
  16. Prepare for the SAT, ASVAB, and more.
  17. Get online auto repair information.
  18. Check Consumer Reports from home.
  19. Use self-service checkout machines.
  20. Pick up a good read.
  21. Borrow materials from libraries around the country.
  22. Find magazine and newspaper articles online.
  23. Search your family history with HeritageQuest Online.
  24. Borrow a Kill-A-Watt kit.
  25. Learn to read online with BookFlix.

I use my library card to download audiobooks to listen to
I use my library card to
download audiobooks to listen to.
And don't keep this exciting news all to yourself. Let your family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and people in your community know just how awesome having a library card is! Here is how they too can get a library card at any age!

Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment