Can’t manage to get away? Here is what you might do.
Aside from The Descendants and Hawaii, both based on books of the same titles, MCPL has:
- Birds of Another Heaven by James D. Houston
- Hotel Honolulu by Paul Theroux (also available in e-audiobook format)
- Lost Kingdom by Julia Flynn Siler. A biography of Liliuokalani, Queen of Hawaii and about a vulnerable Polynesian people and their changing world in the 19th century
- Honolulu by Alan Brennert
- Island of Flowers by Nora Roberts in e-book format (also available in large type print book format)
My favorite is Hawaii the Big Island Revealed and other “Revealed” series on Hawaii's other islands.
Both Fodor’s Hawaii (2012) and Frommer’s Hawaii (2012) are available in e-book format, which means you don't need to lug the heavy guide books around. Not sure how to get e-books or e-audiobooks? Try MCPL's e-book information page.
When you get really serious, visit the Official Hawaii travel site. While you're at it, you might check romantic places in Hawaii.
Have fun and send us some pictures!