Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What are your family foodways for the winter holidays? 

Gingerbread, fruitcake, a Feast of Seven Fishes? Latkes, Lutefisk or Shortbread and Haggis?

Gingerbread HouseWhether you celebrate Christmas, Hannukah, Festivus or Hogmanay, everybody has special foods that just mean ‘the holiday’ to them or to the family. I was looking for information about fruitcakes last week (I know, Johnny Carson used to make fun of them, but it’s my son’s favorite) and while perusing the catalog, found a great website for baking called Joy of Baking.

What’s that you say? You didn’t know web sites were included in our library catalog? They are and they can be a terrific resource for you.

LatkesJust looking at the subject of cooking (I used ‘cookery’ as the term to search the catalog) we find 90 entries that will take us to external web sites, each of which has been reviewed by a librarian and found to be dependable and appropriate. 

Not all of them will help me turn out that luscious fruitcake or help you refine your recipe for latkes, stollen or tamales, but what a find when you just want to stay home without venturing to the local branch for a browse through the 641 (cookbook) section of the stacks.

We also can provide you with cooking DVD’s from America’s Test Kitchen, if you are a visual learner. Not to mention Julia Child and John Shields.

Gingerbread Cookies
Oh, my family’s favorite fruitcake? It happens to be Alton Brown’s ‘Free Range Fruitcake’ which I copied down while watching ‘Good Eats’ years ago.

Excuse me, I hear  the cookie cutters calling my name.


Jan D.

No comments:

Post a Comment